13/01/2023 0 Comments
Stoves: Your Questions Answered
For decades, Stove and Fireplace Fitters Ltd. have been one of Ireland's most trusted stove installers.
We have continued to adapt to the changing stove needs of Irish households and the changing regulatory face of home heating solutions. As one might expect, clients have questions regarding everything from stove installation to stove maintenance. For the convenience of our clients and the curious, we've compiled some of the most common stove questions we're asked. We invite you to review the below and find an answer to your most pressing stove enquires.
How much to install a stove in Ireland?
The cost of installing a stove in Ireland can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the type of stove, the location, and the complexity of the installation. On average, you can expect to pay between €1,000 and €2,000 for a basic stove installation, but it could be more or less depending on the specific circumstances. Please get in touch with us today to get an individual quote on a stove installation in your property.
How to light a stove fire?
To light a stove fire, follow these steps:
Open the stove's damper or vent to allow air to flow into the stove.
- Place small pieces of dry kindling and small amounts of dry firewood on the bottom of the stove.
- Place larger pieces of dry firewood on top of the kindling
- Use a match or a lighter to ignite the kindling.
- Once the kindling is burning well, close the stove's door and adjust the damper or vent as needed to control the airflow and heat output.
What do they put behind a wood-burning stove?
A wall or non-combustible material such as brick, tile, stone, or metal should be placed behind a wood-burning stove to protect the wall and surrounding areas from heat and potential fires. This material is typically referred to as a stove surround, stove backing, or stove wall. It's important to check and comply with the local building codes and manufacturer's instructions for installation.
How to clean a stovetop?
To clean a stovetop, you will need:
- A soft cloth or sponge
- Warm water
- Mild detergent or soap
- Baking soda (optional)
- White vinegar (optional)
Here are the steps to clean a stovetop:
- Remove any large debris or food scraps from the stovetop.
- Mix a small amount of mild detergent or soap with warm water in a bucket or sink.
- Dip the cloth or sponge in the soapy water and wring it out, so it is damp but not soaking wet.
- Wipe down the stove top with a damp cloth or sponge, paying particular attention to any stains or tough spots.
- If there are any tough stains or grime, sprinkle baking soda on the affected area and spray white vinegar on top of the baking soda.
- Use a scrub brush or an old toothbrush to scrub the stain gently.
- Rinse the stove top with a clean damp cloth or sponge to remove any remaining soap or cleaning solution.
- Dry the stove top with a clean, dry cloth or towel.
It's essential to use mild detergent or soap and not abrasive materials, as they can scratch the stove's surface. Also, always check and follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning.
What size stove do I need?
The stove size you need depends on the size of your space and your heating needs. We can recommend the right stove size for your home.
Some of the factors we consider before making a recommendation include:
- Room size: The size of the room where the stove will be placed is an important factor to consider. A larger space will require a larger stove to heat it effectively.
- Insulation: The level of insulation in your home will also affect the stove size you need. A well-insulated home will require a smaller stove to heat it effectively.
- Fuel type: Different fuel types have different heat outputs, so if you are considering a specific fuel type, it is essential to consider the heat output of the stove you are interested in.
It's essential to consult with a professional or the manufacturer to help determine the right size stove for your space and needs.
There you have it, some of the most common questions regarding stoves. Please call us today if we haven't answered one of your questions. One of our customer service agents will be available to answer any inquiry you may have.